1.27.2014

Bootleg

Me, in front of the camera instead of behind it.

I love shooting mountain biking. Love it. So much so that I don't mind lugging around 30+ pounds of photography gear on bike rides, especially if I have a shot in mind. Not every shot turns out. Sometimes what I picture in my head turns out to be far more grand than the reality. This is one such shot. Fortunately the trail was not super long or strenuous. Will and I rode the trails earlier that day and I scouted for locations. I had one in mind. A long fast descent into a rolling hill. The runway was rough and loose, as is the usual for Bootleg Canyon. I set up the camera on a tripod and had Will do a ride through or two to make sure that it was set up just the way I had envisioned it. Then I had him hit it at full speed... Nothing, definitely not what I had envisioned, I could have sworn that when I hit it there was a little more float time between takeoff and landing. I had Will run the camera and I hit it a few times (losing my iPhone on one run, but it was ok) I had a bit more speed and style than Will did, but the image never turned out quite how I wanted it. I shot a few more images that evening, but nothing turned out quite how I wanted it to.


Will cornering with Lake Mead in the distance



A picture of Will taking a picture of his bike.